With literally millions of iPhone Apps now released, it is becoming clear that shift to developing these types of applications is no longer a fad, but more of a revolution. So how can an iPhone App developer release an App that will be successful if there are so many Apps out there?
An iPhone App developer has full control over the design and software code, but what about the quality? this is information not easily obtainable without professional knowledge and experience in the world of software testing. To release an App and make it stand out from the crowd, it must be well designed and well coded. The only way to ensure this has been achieved is by using a professional iPhone App Tester.
When choosing a reputable App Testing company, there are certain things you can look out for such as:
1. Ensure the App will be tested on real devices (not simulators). Some companies will offer you very cheap testing, but this will often be performed on a simulator which nothing more than a web browser made to be the same size an iPhone screen. A simulator cannot check memory usage, CPU usage, battery usage, network disconnects or signal strength. Make sure a real device is used, that’s what the people who download your App from iTunes will use. A professional testing company will provide you the UDID’s of there available test devices. with these, you as the developer will need to make provisioning files to be included along with your App when you send it for testing.
2. Check a range of devices is available, e.g. iPhone 3, iPhone 4, iPad and iPod-Touch. You do not want to release your App only to find out that iPhone 4 users are experiencing crashes. Most good testing companies will offer a discount if you opt to test on multiple devices. if they don’t then ask them!
3. Make sure the testing will be carried out using the latest firmware available for that device. Most iPhone users will upgrade straight away as soon as new firmware version is released. So it makes obvious sense to ensure you App functions correctly with the latest firmware.
4. Always ask an iPhone App Testing company about Usability testing too. A good tester should be able to identify weaknesses relating to Usability and report them to you. This type of testing should include creating typical user scenarios and playing them out to test the usability factor of your App prior to its release. This is an important aspect to the success of an iPhone App which is often overlooked.
5. Always ask for a test report. You don’t want someone you don’t know simply telling your App is fine. You need some kind of document containing a checklist of the areas that were tested along with any subsequent test results.
6. As well as the standard Exploratory testing techniques, a good testing company should be able to offer you more advanced testing techniques such as Boundary Value Analysis and Equivalence Partitioning. These techniques are very useful on areas of your App where a user is required to select or input any kind of information. This is probably the most likely area of an App that will contain bugs.
7. As a developer you will probably want to get your App released ASAP, and so it is likely you will need a quick turnaround. A good testing company should be able to provide you with a quick turnaround for testing your App, and get the results back to you fast.